Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Missouri Department of Revenue requires applicants to present one of more documents in each category listed below:

Name, Date and Place of Birth (U.S. Citizen)
• United States birth certificate certified copy with an embossed, stamped or raised seal issued by a local or state government. (Birth certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable).
• United States passport (valid or expired)
• Certificate of Citizenship
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Birth Abroad
• United States military identification card or discharge papers (military document must be accompanied by a certified copy of United States birth certificate issued by a local or state government).

Name, Date and Place of Birth (Non-U.S. Citizen)
• Immigration documents issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) or other United States government documents indicating current status or applicant status
• Resident Alien card (I-551)
• Foreign passport stamped “Approved I-551” or “Processed for I-551”
• Re-entry permit (I-327)
• I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551”
• Employment Authorization Document (I-688B or I-766)
• Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
• Reception and Placement Assurance Form
• Passport
• I-94 stamped as Refugee, Asylee, Parolee or Conditional Entrant
• Passport with I-20 student visa

Social Security Number (All Applicants)
• Provide Social Security number of present Social Security card
• Letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) if no Social Security number has been assigned

Proof of Missouri Residency (Post Office box is not allowed as proof of residential address)
• Utility bill
• Paycheck
• Government check
• Mortgage document
• Voter Registration card
• Property tax receipt
• Housing rental contract
• Bank statement

Name Change Documents
• Certified marriage certificate
• Certified divorce decree
• Certified court order
• Certified adoption paper or amended birth certificate
• United States passport
• Social Security Card
• Medicare card