Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents must I fill out at the DMV to get my permit/driver’s license?

When applying for a permit or driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

• Submit the None for the Road Certificate of Completion if you are between the ages of 18 and 24.
• Submit proof of enrollment or provide a Certificate of Completion in a state-approved driver’s education program.
• Submit proof of identity, Social Security number, identification number and New Mexico residency.
• Your parent or legal guardian must sign the application if you are under 18 years of age.

The New Mexico MVD can suspend your driving privileges if you give any false information when applying for a permit or driver’s license.

Once I get my permit, what do I need to do before I can drive with my parents?
You and your parents should have a Parent-Teen driving agreement, which should include the following:

• To not violate the New Mexico laws that restricts nighttime driving
• To follow the rules established by the parent or guardian
• To obey all of the traffic laws when driving
• The consequences if the teen violates the rules
• The parent or guardian should promise to help the teen driver learn by using love, patience and support.

Having a contract will ensure that there are no misunderstandings about what is expected by all parties.