The Washington State Department of Licensing has the following requirements for obtaining an Instruction Permit:
• You must be at least 15 years old and enrolled in a traffic safety education course.
• You must pass the knowledge test if you are 15 years and 6 months old and not enrolled in a traffic safety education course.
• You must pass the knowledge test and vision screening, which includes color recognition.
• You must have a completed Parental Authorization Affidavit and your parents must provide proof of their identity and relationship to you if you are under 18.
• You must pay the permit and exam fee of $20.
The Instruction Permit is valid for one year and can be renewed once.