Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

Anyone who applies for an original Alaska learner’s instruction permit, driver’s license or state identification card must be able to provide the following:

Proof of your date of birth—This can include any of the following:

• United States birth certificate with raised seal and issued by an authorized government agency
• Military identification card for active duty, retiree or reservist
• A valid U.S. passport
• A report of birth abroad by a U.S. citizen issued by a United States consular officer
• A resident alien card, permanent resident card or temporary resident card
• A valid foreign passport with the appropriate immigration documents
• An employment authorization card or employment authorization document
• Certificate of U.S. citizenship or naturalization

Proof of identification—If the name on the document provided for proof of date of birth does not match the name on the document provided for proof of identification, certified copies of legal documents regarding the person’s name change must be provided that link to all names previously used.

Proof of Social Security number—This can include an original Social Security card or an approved waver from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Proof of residence address—This can include a utility bill, bank statement or pay stub.

Parental consent—The State of Alaska requires a parental signature for any minor who is under the age of 18 that is applying for a learner’s instruction permit. The parent or legal guardian who signs the parental consent form may be held legally liable for any damages resulting from a motor vehicle crash in which the teen was driving.

Once all of the above steps have been completed, you must pay a fee of $15.00 to obtain an original instruction permit.