Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Louisiana Teen Driver

Anyone with a learner’s or intermediate license is prohibited from using a cell phone or wireless communication device unless it is a hands-free device. All drivers under 18 are prohibited from using any type of wireless device while operating a motor vehicle.

All first-time applicants between the ages of 15 and 16 must provide one of the following:

• A certificate of completion from a driver’s education course consisting of 30 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel training. The course must be approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

• An Application and School Instruction Permit DE 1821 (R10/95).

• A letter from a Louisiana high school signed by the principal or an instructor certifying that the student has completed a driver’s education course.

• An official transcript from a Louisiana high school indicating that the student has been given credit for passing a driver’s education course.

Applicants cannot substitute a driver’s education course for the six-hour pre-licensing course.

Once you have a learner’s permit, you can drive with a parent, legal guardian or another licensed adult who is at least 21 years or older. You are also allowed to drive with a licensed sibling who is at least 18 years or older.

You must complete an Application for License or Identification Card and applicants under the age of 18 will need the approval of a parent or legal guardian. Minors who are accompanied by a mother who has since remarried must submit documentation to show the connection in names. This can include a certified copy of the divorce decree and/or new marriage license.

The State of Louisiana has the following requirements for applicants who want to obtain a Class E Instruction Permit:

• You must be at least 15 years old.
• You must successfully complete 38 hours of an approved driver’s education course.
• You must submit an original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
• You must provide your Social Security card at the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
• You must be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian who will be asked to provide a valid photo identification.
• You must be able to pass the written and vision tests.

The fee for a learner’s permit is typically $24.50 with a parish fee not to exceed $3.

To be prepared for the written exam, you should study the Louisiana Driver’s Guide that covers some of the following topics:

• Getting a driver’s license
• Motor vehicle registration and title
• Signs, traffic lights and pavement markings
• Basic driving and safety
• Traffic laws and regulations
• Interstate driving
• Driving emergencies
• Driving offenses

The manual also includes information about when your driving privileges may be suspended.

The State of Louisiana has the following restrictions for anyone with a Class E Learner’s Permit:

• You may only drive when accompanied by a licensed parent, legal guardian or another adult who is 21 years or older.

• You may drive with a licensed sibling who is 18 years or older.

• You can drive with passengers if they are members of your immediate family.

If you are accompanied by a driver’s education instruction, passengers may be in the vehicle if they are fellow student drivers.

The Louisiana OMV requires teen drivers to pass the following tests:

Knowledge Test
• The knowledge contains written questions about the traffic laws and safe driving practices. To pass the test, you must answer 80 percent of the questions correctly.

Traffic Sign Test
• You must know the meaning of standard road signs and be able to identify each sign by the shape, color or symbol.

Vision Test
• You must have a minimum vision of 20/40 to pass the test. If you need corrective lenses to pass the test, your license will indicate that you required to wear them when driving. You must get a vision report from a specialist if you fail the test.

Road Skills Test
• The driver’s license examiner will be testing you on the following skills:

o Backing up
o Following other vehicles
o Staying in your lane
o Parking between other vehicles
o Yielding the right of way
o Attention to driving
o Response to traffic signs and signals

Your vehicle must pass a safety inspection and have current license, registration and liability insurance.

To apply for a driver’s license, you must meet the following requirements:

Class E Learner’s License
• You must be 17 years or older.
• Submit proof that you have completed a 36-hour driver’s education course or a six-hour pre-licensing course.
• You must pass the written and vision tests.
• A licensed driver must accompany you at all times.

Class E Intermediate License
• You must be at least 16 years or older.
• Your parent or legal guardian must submit a signed statement verifying that you have completed a minimum of 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving with 15 hours done at night.
• You must have held your instruction permit for at least 180 days.
• You must be accompanied by a licensed parent, guardian or another adult who is 21 years or older when driving between 11 pm and 5 am.

First-time applicants will need to provide the following:

• One primary document and two secondary documents
• Two primary documents
• A Louisiana driver’s license or identification card with photo identification (Social Security number must be part of the file)

Applicants who are 17 and under must also do the following:

• Obtain the signature of custodial parent or legal guardian on the application
• Submit proof of custody or legal guardianship
• If joint custody has been awarded, only the domiciliary parent can sign the application

Primary Documents
• Original or certified copy of birth certificate, birth registration card or birth certificate issued by a county or state bureau of vital statistics with raised seal
• Foreign passport stamped and accompanied by I-94 documents
• Passport Card
• Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with applicant’s photo taken after age 14
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States Department of State
• Native American tribal document
• Refugee travel document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (Form I-571)
• Permit to reenter the United States issued by DHS (Form I-327)

Secondary Documents
• Out-of-state driver’s license with photo clearly identifying the individual (official copy of driving record if applicant has lost the out-of-state license and a foreign driver’s must be accompanied by immigration documents)
• Social Security card or official documentation verifying Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) or document from SSA indicating that applicant is not eligible for an SSN
• Out-of-state photo identification card issued by a motor vehicle department
• Student identification card from a Louisiana college or university and accompanied by a paid receipt for current semester
• Adoption papers (must be original documents)
• High school, college or university diploma (must be original documents)
• Marriage license or certificate of marriage issued by a United States city, county or parish or an original or certified copy of divorce decree from a United States county or parish
• Church baptismal certificate
• Louisiana voter registration card
• Certified property deed or title of Louisiana property, include burial plot deeds
• Vehicle registration or certificate of title for vehicle in applicant’s name
• Utility bill or statement showing the name and address of the applicant
• Homeowners, auto, life or health insurance policy
• Payroll stub (must be pre-printed)
• Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)
• High school yearbook with picture that clearly identifies the applicant
• Medicaid or Medicare card
• Prison release documents or letter from applicant’s probation officer
• Military discharge papers (DD214)
• Selective Service notification to the applicant at his address
• Original or certified copy of a professional degree or license
• School records or two report cards (must be from separate years)
• Motor vehicle lien
• Law enforcement identification or badge
• Letter of verification from a state agency responsible for placing handicapped people
• Employment identification with photo
• Identification card issued by a local, state or federal government agency
• Two years of W-2 forms
• Six-hour pre-licensing certificate of completion
• Certificate of completion from the 38-hour pre-licensing course
• Refugee Resettlement Program letter with color photo (must be original document)
• Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections prison or parish identification card with photo, name, race, gender and date of birth
• United States military identification card, draft record or military dependent identification card
• Transportation Worker Identification Credential card
• U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card (Must be current)
• Work authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (I-688B or I-766)

Social Security Requirement
• All applicants must provide a Social Security number.
• The Military Selective Service Act requires U.S. male citizens or immigrants between the ages of 15 and 26 to provide their SSN or they will be denied a license.

Immigrant Aliens
• I-551 form (issued after 7/97 is considered a primary document), Social Security verification and one secondary document or
• I-551 (issued prior to 7/97 is considered a secondary document), one primary document and Social Security verification or
• Foreign passport stamped that I-94 has been surrendered for processing an I-551

• Submit I-94 and two secondary documents
• Submit passport along with an Employment Authorization Card
• Refugee Resettlement Program letter with color photo (Must be original document)

Non-Immigrant Aliens
• Foreign passport with I-94 showing status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
• Social Security verification
• Secondary document