Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Maine Teen Driver

The Maine BMV requires applicants to submit proof of identity, residency, legal presence in the United States and a Social Security number with the following documents:

Proof of Identity—One document must have your date of birth and a second document must have your written signature.
• Adoption papers
• Baptismal records
• Birth certificate
• Certificate of marriage
• Citizenship papers
• Concealed weapons permit
• Copy of marital application
• Court order
• Divorce papers
• Draft card
• Driver education card
• Driver’s license
• Driver’s permit
• Medical record from a doctor or hospital
• Military dependent identification card
• Military identification card
• Parent or legal guardian (must appear in person and prove his or her identity and only applies to minors)
• Passport
• School records or transcripts (must be certified)
• Social Security card
• Unemployment card

Proof of Maine Residency
• Recent Maine driver’s license with physical address
• Maine vehicle registration
• Utility bill from electric, water, sewer or cell phone provider
• Maine resident fishing and/or hunting license
• Mortgage, lease agreement, insurance policy, insurance identification card or SR-22 insurance
• Tax bill or tax return
• Official document issued by a government agency
• Paycheck stub
• W-2
• Conditional order of restoration

Legal Presence—Citizens
• Birth certificate (must be a certified copy from a State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency showing that the person was born in:
• A state of the United States
• The District of Columbia
• Puerto Rico (after January 12, 1941)
• Virgin Islands (after January 16, 1917)
• Guam (after April 11, 1899)
• American Samoa (after February 15, 1900)
• Swains Island (after March 3, 1925) or
• Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (after January 8, 1978)
• Passport or passport card issued by the United States
• Consular report of birth abroad, certificate of report of birth or certification of report of birth
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of United States Citizenship
• United States Citizen Identification Card
• Identification card for Resident Citizen in the United States
• American Indian Card
• Northern Mariana identification card

Legal Presence—Non-Citizens
• Resident alien card or permanent resident card
• Memorandum of Creation of Record of lawful permanent residence
• I-94 documents with arrival and departure information or a foreign passport with a Processed for I-551 stamp or an I-551 Alien Documentation and Identification System stamp
• Temporary resident card
• Re-entry permit
• Employment authorization card
• Travel document or Refugee travel document
• I-94 Form stamped or endorsed or an arrival/departure card
• Notice of Action or other official notification showing period of admission
• Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (Form I-20) or DS-2019 endorsed or stamped
• A letter, order, appellate decision, I-94 with arrival/departure information or foreign passport stamped with Section 207 Refugee, Section 208 Asylee, Section 212(d)(5) Parolee or Cuban/Haitian Entrant, Section 243(h), Section 241(b)(3) or Conditional Entrant
• I-94 with arrival and departure information of Canadian passport coded S13
• Letter or tribal document showing the person is an American Indian born in Canada
• A letter, order, appellate decision or arrival/departure Form I-94 showing a grant of asylum
• Status as a special immigrant juvenile (must have a pending application)
• Letter acknowledging the person as a victim of crime as defined by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000 or the Violence Against Women Act
• Letter of notice showing a grant of deferred action or Order of Supervision or similar status
• Any other documents issued by the United States Department of Justice or Homeland Security, including predecessor or successor federal agencies that have responsibility for implementing the Immigration and Nationality Act

The Maine BMV requires anyone under the age of 18 to complete an approved driver’s education course before applying for a learner’s permit. The course should include the following:

• 30 hours of classroom instruction
• 10 hours of driving instruction

The course will teach you how to operate a motor vehicle safely, the importance of understanding the rules of the road and state traffic laws.

What tests must I pass?
The Maine BMV requires teen drivers to pass the following tests:

Written Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test consists of multiple-choice questions covering traffic signs and safe driving techniques. You must correctly answer 21 out of 25 questions correctly to pass the test.

Vision Screening Exam
• You must be able to pass the vision screening exam with a visual acuity of 20/40 or better in the best eye, with our without using corrective lenses and a binocular visual field of 150 or better.

The State of Maine has the following requirements to apply for an Intermediate Driver’s License:

• You must have your Maine Learner’s Permit for at least six months in good standing.
• You must log a minimum of 35 hours practice driving.
• You must complete at least five practice hours at night.

You must hold an intermediate license for 180 days before applying for an unrestricted license.

The State of Maine has a graduated licensing system for new drivers who are under 18, which include:

Learner’s Permit—Under 21 Years Old
• You must log 35 hours of practice driving with 5 hours done after dark.
• You must hold the permit for at least six months before applying to take the road test.
• You must take an exam for a new permit if your permit expires but you don’t have to wait before applying to take the road test.

Learner’s Permit—Age 21 or Over
• You can take the road test without waiting six months.

The Learner’s Permit is valid for a period of 18 months.

The State of Maine has the following restrictions:

Learner’s Permit—Under or Over 21 Years of Age
• You are not allowed to use a cell phone while driving.
• You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 20 years or older and has a minimum of two years driving experience.

Intermediate Driver’s License
• You are not allowed to carry any non-family passengers unless accompanied by a licensed driver who is 20 years or older and has a minimum of two years driving experience. The supervisor must sit next to you and be prepared to take control of the vehicle if necessary.
• You are prohibited from driving between the hours of 12 and 5 am.
• You are not allowed to use a cell phone while driving.

You can apply for a full license if you have driven without incident for 180 days.

There are no specific restrictions for newly licensed drivers but anyone under the age of 18 is prohibited from using a hand-held electronic device while operating a motor vehicle. As of September 2011, all drivers are prohibited from texting while driving.

The Maine BMV strongly recommends that teens and parents sign a contract stipulating that the teen driver promises to follow the rules of the road and understand the responsibilities of operating a motor vehicle. This should include information about the following:

• Driving sober and the penalties for violating the law
• To always wear a seat belt
• Focus on driving by paying attention to the road and avoiding distractions
• How to drive defensively and share the road with other drivers

Parents should teach by setting a good example and making sure that the vehicle is safe to operate.

Before applying for a learner’s permit, you should read the Maine Motorist Handbook and Study Guide, which covers some of the following topics:

• How to acquire a learner’s permit and driver’s license
• Practice questions to help pass the written test
• Owning and maintaining a motor vehicle
• Insurance requirements
• Inspection requirements
• The rules of the road
• Safe driving techniques
• How to handle a roadside emergency

The Maine Motorist Handbook and Study Guide is available at any Bureau of Motor Vehicle (BMV) office or online at the BMV website.

Applicants will need to do the following at the BMV when applying for a learner’s permit:

• Fill out and sign a permit application.
• Submit a check or money order for $10 payable to the Secretary of State.
• Submit the required documents for proof of identity, residence and legal presence in the United States.

You will also be required to present a certificate of completion for an approved driver’s education course if you are under the age of 18.