Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your ME Permit Test

There are a few reasons, test takers fail their ME Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your ME Permit Test, you will not receive your ME Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. However, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire ME Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the ME Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
If you pass your ME Permit Test, you will receive your ME Learner's Permit. If you are over 21, you need only wait 3 months before you can take your ME Driving Exam. If you are under 21, you will need to maintain your Learner's Permit for 6 months. During this time, you will need to achieve 35 hours of driving practice, 5 of which should be completed at night.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you as they will need to sign your application.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your ME Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, road signs, and other topics that are covered in the ME Driver's Manual.
The ME Permit Test consists of 25 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 21 of those 25 questions correctly in order to pass.
No. You are not allowed to use your ME Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your ME Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an ME Driver's License.
In Maine, the minimum age requirement is 15 years old.
On the day of your ME Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your residency in Maine, your Social Security Number and two documents that prove your identity. If you are under 18, you will need to submit a Driver's Education certificate.