Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your UT Permit Test

If you pass your UT Permit Test, you will receive your UT Learner's Permit. If you are younger than 18, you will need to maintain your UT Permit for 6 months. During this time you should complete a Driver's Education course. If you turn 18 during this period you can apply for your license without completing your course. Individuals over the age of 19, need only maintain their permit for 90 days with the ability to forego this waiting period if they complete a Driver's Education course. Applicants must also complete 40 hours of driving practice.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your UT Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, road markings, freeway driving and many more topics that are covered in the UT Driver's Manual.
The UT Permit Test consists of 50 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 40 of those 50 questions correctly in order to pass.
No. You are not allowed to use your UT Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your UT Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an UT Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their UT Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your UT Permit Test, you will not receive your UT Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. You're able to try again on the same day even, however, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire UT Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the UT Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
In UT, the minimum age requirement is 15 years old.
On the day of your UT Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your identity, proof of your lawful presence in the United States, proof of your residency and your Social Security Number. You can find more information what documents are acceptable by visiting this website:
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you.