Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

First-time applicants will need to provide the following:

• One primary document and two secondary documents
• Two primary documents
• A Louisiana driver’s license or identification card with photo identification (Social Security number must be part of the file)

Applicants who are 17 and under must also do the following:

• Obtain the signature of custodial parent or legal guardian on the application
• Submit proof of custody or legal guardianship
• If joint custody has been awarded, only the domiciliary parent can sign the application

Primary Documents
• Original or certified copy of birth certificate, birth registration card or birth certificate issued by a county or state bureau of vital statistics with raised seal
• Foreign passport stamped and accompanied by I-94 documents
• Passport Card
• Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) with applicant’s photo taken after age 14
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States Department of State
• Native American tribal document
• Refugee travel document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (Form I-571)
• Permit to reenter the United States issued by DHS (Form I-327)

Secondary Documents
• Out-of-state driver’s license with photo clearly identifying the individual (official copy of driving record if applicant has lost the out-of-state license and a foreign driver’s must be accompanied by immigration documents)
• Social Security card or official documentation verifying Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA) or document from SSA indicating that applicant is not eligible for an SSN
• Out-of-state photo identification card issued by a motor vehicle department
• Student identification card from a Louisiana college or university and accompanied by a paid receipt for current semester
• Adoption papers (must be original documents)
• High school, college or university diploma (must be original documents)
• Marriage license or certificate of marriage issued by a United States city, county or parish or an original or certified copy of divorce decree from a United States county or parish
• Church baptismal certificate
• Louisiana voter registration card
• Certified property deed or title of Louisiana property, include burial plot deeds
• Vehicle registration or certificate of title for vehicle in applicant’s name
• Utility bill or statement showing the name and address of the applicant
• Homeowners, auto, life or health insurance policy
• Payroll stub (must be pre-printed)
• Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)
• High school yearbook with picture that clearly identifies the applicant
• Medicaid or Medicare card
• Prison release documents or letter from applicant’s probation officer
• Military discharge papers (DD214)
• Selective Service notification to the applicant at his address
• Original or certified copy of a professional degree or license
• School records or two report cards (must be from separate years)
• Motor vehicle lien
• Law enforcement identification or badge
• Letter of verification from a state agency responsible for placing handicapped people
• Employment identification with photo
• Identification card issued by a local, state or federal government agency
• Two years of W-2 forms
• Six-hour pre-licensing certificate of completion
• Certificate of completion from the 38-hour pre-licensing course
• Refugee Resettlement Program letter with color photo (must be original document)
• Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections prison or parish identification card with photo, name, race, gender and date of birth
• United States military identification card, draft record or military dependent identification card
• Transportation Worker Identification Credential card
• U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card (Must be current)
• Work authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (I-688B or I-766)

Social Security Requirement
• All applicants must provide a Social Security number.
• The Military Selective Service Act requires U.S. male citizens or immigrants between the ages of 15 and 26 to provide their SSN or they will be denied a license.

Immigrant Aliens
• I-551 form (issued after 7/97 is considered a primary document), Social Security verification and one secondary document or
• I-551 (issued prior to 7/97 is considered a secondary document), one primary document and Social Security verification or
• Foreign passport stamped that I-94 has been surrendered for processing an I-551

• Submit I-94 and two secondary documents
• Submit passport along with an Employment Authorization Card
• Refugee Resettlement Program letter with color photo (Must be original document)

Non-Immigrant Aliens
• Foreign passport with I-94 showing status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
• Social Security verification
• Secondary document