The Texas Department of Safety has the following requirements for obtaining an Instruction Permit:
• You must be at least 15 years old.
• You must be enrolled in a public or private school and have attended school for at least 80 days preceding the date of application.
• You have been enrolled for at least 45 days and are currently enrolled in a program that prepares people to pass the high school equivalency exam.
• You have obtained a high school diploma or an equivalent.
• You must have the signature of your parent or guardian.
• You must have a completion certificate for the classroom portion of a state-approved driver’s education course.
• You must be able to pass the written exam and vision screening.
• You must pay the Instruction Permit fee of $5.
The Instruction Permit is valid until your next birth date, plus one year. It cannot be renewed as an instruction permit but you can renew it as a license once you have passed the driving skills test.