The State of Texas has the following restrictions for new and underage drivers:
• All Instruction Permit holders are prohibited from using any type of hand-held cell phone during the first six months while driving.
• All drivers under 18 are prohibited from using any type of wireless communication device while driving.
• All drivers are prohibited from using a hand-held device in a school-crossing zone.
• School bus operators are prohibited from using a cell phone when driving if children are present.
The following cities in Texas have passed distracted driving laws that include the following:
• Amarillo has banned the use of all electronic devices while driving.
• Stephenville has banned the use of cell phones and text messaging while driving.
• El Paso has banned talking on a cell phone or texting while driving.
• McAllen has banned any Internet related activity and text messaging while driving.
• Missouri City and San Antonio have banned texting while driving.
In addition to the above, the cities of Alvin and Burnet have banned the use of cell phones and texting while driving through a school zone.