Take Our CA DMV Practice Test for Free!
Welcome to our free and comprehensive CA DMV Practice Test page for 2023. Here, you'll find a valuable resource to help you prepare for your upcoming California driving test. Our practice tests are tailored to meet California's latest requirements and laws, ensuring you have the most accurate and up-to-date information.
California DMV Permit Test: A Comprehensive Guide
Taking the California DMV Permit Test is a smart decision for obtaining a learner's permit. This comprehensive guide will provide you with essential information about the test format, content, passing criteria, testing costs, scheduling, locations, accommodations, retake policy, identification requirements, and age requirements.
Permit Test Format
The permit test at the CA DMV consists of 46 multiple-choice and true or false questions. Test takers can opt for either a computer-based or paper-based test delivery method.
DMV Permit Test Content
The test covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Rules of the road
- Alcohol awareness
- Traffic safety
- Traffic violations and fines
- Car preparedness
- Road signs
- Distracted driving awareness
To prepare for the test, use the state driver's manual and online CA Permit practice tests.
DMV Test Passing Criteria
To pass the test, you must answer 38 out of 46 questions correctly. You will receive instant feedback on your performance.
CA DMV Testing Costs
The fee for taking the written test is $33. Accepted payment methods include cash, check, money order, ATM/debit card, or credit card.
CA DMV Test Scheduling
Some DMV offices allow for walk-in testing. However, scheduling an appointment online or by calling ahead is generally recommended.
Permit Test Location
The test can be administered at DMV offices and third-party testing centers. Visit the DMV website to find a list of nearby testing locations.
Permit Test Accommodations
The California DMV offers various accommodations to ensure a fair testing environment:
- Language options: Translations and interpreter services are available.
- Accommodations for individuals with disabilities: Large print and extended time are offered.
DMV Test Retake Policy
If you don't pass the test on your first try, don't worry! You can retake the test after 7 days. Remember that you are allowed a maximum of 3 retakes within a year. Additional fees for retakes are not mentioned in the sources.
To take the test, you must provide the following:
- Proof of identity: A valid passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of residency: A utility bill or lease agreement.
- Proof of Social Security number: A Social Security card or W-2 form.
CA Permit Test Age Requirements
The minimum age requirement for obtaining a permit is 15 1/2 years old.
CALIFORNIA DMV WRITTEN KNOWLEDGE TEST FOR ADULTS
Whether you're a first-time driver or a seasoned motorist, certain scenarios may require you to take the California DMV Written Knowledge Test. This test ensures you have a solid understanding of the rules of the road and are prepared to drive safely in California.
When is the DMV Written Knowledge Test required for adults?
Here are some situations when an adult might need to take the California Written DMV Test:
- Adults over the age of 18 applying for a noncommercial California driver’s license or a California motorcycle license must take the written knowledge test.
- Seniors over the age of 70 must renew their driver’s license at a DMV office and may be required to take a written test.
- Adults with a physical, mental, or vision condition that may impact their ability to safely operate a vehicle may be required to take a Supplemental Driving Performance Evaluation (SDPE).
CA DMV Written Test Details
The number of questions on the test and the passing score are as follows:
- Original noncommercial Class C: 40 questions
- Renewal noncommercial Class C: 25 questions
- Original Class M motorcycle: 25 questions
- Renewal Class M motorcycle: 25 questions
A passing score is 80% for all tests.
DMV Testing Costs
The cost to take the California DMV written test is $38. You will have three attempts to pass your test. If you fail your initial exam, the California DMV requires you to wait 7 days prior to taking your examination again. Once your exam is passed and your $38 is paid, you will be issued your provisional permit.
California DMV Test Format
- Number of questions on the permit test: Adults over the age of 18 are given 40 questions if it's their first time, and 25 questions if required to take the test when renewing.
- Types of questions: The test consists of multiple choice questions.
- Test delivery method: The test can be taken online or at a DMV office.
Our Free DMV Practice Tests are designed to help you prepare for the California DMV Written Knowledge Test. Get started today and be one step closer to obtaining or renewing your California driver's license or motorcycle license.
Try our new format for the California Written Driving Test!
- Teen Learners Permit
- Drivers License Renewal
- New to State Drivers
- Motorcycle Permit
- Commercial License
Teen Learners Permit
Drivers License Renewal
New to State Drivers
California DMV Handbooks
Before you take a practice test make sure you’ve reviewed the California drivers handbook. You will be tested on this content! Find them online below