Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Applying for Your California License

You can reach the DMV by calling (800)-777-0133 or by going online:
Your parent, legal guardian, licensed driving instructor who 25 years old or older or spouse must accompany you to your exam.
No. You don't need a physical.
Yes. A vision test is required when applying for a driver's license in CA. You must have 20/40 acuity with or without glasses.
No. You are only allowed to have your photo taken at the DMV office after you have completed and passed your written test.
If you applied for your CA license and you passed your written exam, the DMV will issue you a permit. This permit will be valid for 12 months. You must wait 6 months before you can schedule your road test appointment. During this waiting period, you must complete 50 practice hours on the road accompanied by a driver who is at least 25 years old. During this period, you should also finish your driver's education class and complete 6 hours of professional driver's training.
When you apply for your license, you will need to bring with you the application fee, Form DL44 Driver's License application that is signed by your parent or legal guardian, your social security number, your full legal name, an original birth certificate or proof of legal presence, a Certficate of Completion of Driver's Education or a Certificate of Completion of Driver's Education and Driver Training or a Certificate of Enrollment in A Classroom Driver Education and Driver Training.
When you apply for your license, you will need to bring with you the application fee, Form DL 44 Driver's License Application, your social security number, your full legal name, your original birth certificate or proof of legal presence.
The DMV accepts a number of documents as proof of your legal presence. Here are a few examples: a certified copy of your U.S. Birth Certificate from state or local vital statistics office, your U.S Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad, Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree, USCIS American Indian Card, Birth Certificate or passport issued from a U.S. territory, U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, U.S. Military Idenfication Cards, Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, Permanent Resident Card, Temporary Resident Identification Card, Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate, Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card, Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit, Refugee travel document, Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority, Employment Authorization Card, Valid I-94 Stamped with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence," Immigration judge's order granting asylum, Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94, or a U.S. Border Crossing Identification Card with valid I-94.
When you are ready to apply for your driver's license, you should visit your local DMV office. You can find a list of DMV offices at
To apply for your learner's permit in CA, you have to be at least 15 1/2 years old.