Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - Nevada Teen Driver

The State of Nevada has the following restrictions:

Instruction Permit
• You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 years or older that has at least one year of driving experience. This person must sit next to you at all times.

Driver’s License (Under Age 18)
• You may not transport any passengers under 18 for the first six months unless they are a member of your immediate family.
• You may not drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am unless you are traveling to of from work or a school event.

If you violate the passenger restriction, the restriction will be extended for six more months. Any subsequent violation will result in a fine of $250 and/or extended time set by the court.

The Nevada DMV requires all applicants to provide proof of full legal name, date of birth and Social Security number by submitting the following documents:

Full Legal Name and Date of Birth (United States Citizen)
• State issued Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
• United States Passport (Valid or expired less than one year)
• United States Military Identification
• Original Report of Separation from the Military (DD-214)
• United States Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

Full Legal Name and Date of Birth (Non-U.S. Citizen)
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Citizenship
• Permanent Resident Card
• Temporary Resident Card
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad
• United States Passport
• Resident Alien Card or I-551 Receipt
• Valid Foreign Passport stamped “Processed for I-551”
• Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with Visa or Passport
• Permit to Re-enter the United States
• Refugee Travel Documents

Documents Not Accepted as Proof of Legal Name and Age
• Hospital-issued Birth Certificate
• Driver’s license or identification card from another U.S. State, U.S. Territory or foreign country
• Foreign Birth Certificate
• Border Crossing Cards
• Consular Identification Cards

Evidence of Social Security Number (All documents must be originals)
• Social Security Card
• W-2, 1099, 1099a, federal income tax return or other IRS correspondence with number listed
• Paystub with number listed or other employment records
• United States Military Identification with number listed
• United States Military DD-214 Report of Separation
• United States Veteran Identification Card
• Evidence of no Social Security Number (Form SSA L676)

Proof of Nevada Residence (Two forms are required)
• Certification of Nevada residency (Form DMV-005). This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian for any applicant under 18. The parent or guardian must reside at the same address as the minor applicant.
• Property tax record, utility bills, mortgage document or deed, rent receipts, lease or rental agreement
• Enrollment records, student identification card which residential address or other documentation indicating enrollment at an educational institution in Nevada
• Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing residency for 30 consecutive days
• Credit card statement, medical bills, cellular telephone bill or other statement or request for payment mailed to the residential address dated within the previous 60 days
• Statement from relief agency or shelter indicating no actual residence but currently receive assistance in Nevada
• Voter registration card issued by the Nevada Secretary of State with residential address
• Bank or credit union statement showing current account in Nevada (Account must have been opened for at least 30 days)
• Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) as evidence of Nevada residency when deployed outside of Nevada
• Document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Nevada
• Notarized statement from a property owner that you are living with them on their property without a rental or lease agreement

Name Change Documents (Must be an original or certified copy)
• Marriage Certificate
• Divorce Decree
• Adoption Records
• Court Order

Active duty military members and their dependents are not required to transfer either their driver’s license or vehicle registration. Licenses are not issued to tourists, out-of-state students or foreign-exchange students. The Nevada Central Issuance program handles all licenses and permits and they are sent from a separate and secure facility. The DMV will issue a paper interim document that is valid for 30 days or until you receive your instruction permit or license. The interim document is not valid for identification, so you must carry another form of identification while waiting for your official permit or license.

The Nevada DMV provides a Beginning Driver Training Guide to help parents and teens make the most of the behind-the-wheel practice sessions. The purpose of the guide is to give parents the tools and guidance they need to teach their teenagers safe driving practices and it covers the following topics:

• Getting Ready to Drive
• Steering Methods
• Backing, Moving Forward and Stopping
• Turns
• Parking
• Bicycle and Pedestrian Laws
• Keeping Your Distance
• Driving in Traffic
• Intersections
• School Zones and Buses
• Using Lanes
• Freeways
• Highways and Passing
• Night Driving
• Adverse Conditions
• The Full License—Are You Ready?

Parents should be calm, patient and alert at all times and be ready to take the wheel when necessary.

All beginning drivers under the age of 18 are required to complete a driver’s education course before applying for a license. The options include the following:

• Attend a classroom instruction course and complete 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
• Complete an on-line course and 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
• Complete 100 hours of practice driving. This option only applies to the following:

1. A classroom course is not offered within a 30-mile radius of where you live, or
2. You do not elect to complete a course on-line.

You can take a course offered by a public or private high school or any professional school licensed by the DMV. All professional schools issue a “Certificate of Completion” which must be submitted to the DMV when you apply for your license. A report card or transcript from a high school is also acceptable proof that you have completed the required driver’s education program.

The State of Nevada has the following requirements when applying for an Instruction Permit:

• You must be at least 15 years and 6 months old.
• You must be able to pass the written and vision tests.
• Your parent or legal guardian must sign the financial responsibility section on the application.
• You must pay a permit fee ranging from $22 to $25 depending upon where you live.

Instruction Permits are valid for one year and can be renewed. If your permit is expired more than 30 days, you will have to retake the written test.

When applying for a permit or driver’s license, you must do the following:

• Fill out the Nevada Driver’s License or Identification Card Application.
• If you are under 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign the application or provide a notarized affidavit authorizing consent for permit or license.
• Submit a Certificate of Completion from a driver’s education course and a Beginning Driver Experience Log (DMV Form DLD-130) if applying for a driver’s license. The log must contain the dates and times of your behind-the-wheel sessions and it must be completed using blue or black ink.

The log can be found on the DMV website located at

There are no specific restrictions for new drivers, however as of January 1, 2012, all drivers will be banned from using a hand-held cell phone and text messaging while operating a motor vehicle. This is a primary offense, which means that law enforcement officers don’t need an additional reason to pull you over. The fines for violating this law are as follows:

• First Offense—$50 Fine
• Second Offense—$100 FINE
• Third or Subsequent Offense—$250

A higher fine may be imposed if you violate this law while driving in a traffic control zone.

The State of Nevada requires drivers to pass the following tests:

Knowledge (Written) Test
• The knowledge test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions based upon the information in the Nevada Drivers Handbook. You must answer 40 questions correctly to pass the test. A testing fee of $25 will be charged for the written test and initial skills test.

Vision Test
• You must be able to pass the vision test with a minimum acuity of 20/40 in one eye or 20/40 in both eyes with corrective lenses. If you do not meet these standards, you must have your eyes examined by an eye care professional and submit a Vision Statement to the DMV.

Road Skills Test
• You will be tested on your ability to operate a motor vehicle safely in a variety of traffic situations. The driver’s license examiner will check the following:

1. Vehicle license plates and current registration
2. Proof of insurance or financial responsibility
3. Headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals
4. Horn
5. Seatbelts for both the driver and examiner
6. Tires
7. Windshield wipers

The vehicle must be in a safe operating condition and all equipment must be in good working order, including the brakes, speedometer and muffler. There should be a safe and clean seat beside the driver for the examiner to sit in. Passengers and animals are not allowed in the vehicle during the road test. You will be tested on the following:

1. Preparing to drive
2. Vehicle control
3. Entering traffic
4. Lane use
5. Speed control
6. Turns
7. Parallel and diagonal parking
8. Backing up
9. Stopping
10. Passing
11. Attention to traffic

Using a cell phone during the drive test will result in automatic failure.

To obtain a Nevada driver’s license, you must meet the following requirements:

• You must be at least 16 years old.
• You must have held an instruction permit for a minimum of six months.
• You must not have any moving violation convictions, at-fault accidents or any drug or alcohol conviction within six months of the application date.
• You must submit the driver’s education Certificate of Completion and Beginning Driver Experience Log.
• You must pass the road skills test.

The driver’s education may be waived if you are over 18. A restricted license may be issued to you under the following circumstances:

• You are 14 years or older and have demonstrated a family hardship.
• You need to drive to and from school.

Additional information about restricted licenses can be found at the local DMV office.

Before applying for an Instruction Permit, you should study the Nevada Driver’s Handbook, which covers the following topics:

• Chapter 1—Getting Your Nevada Driver’s License
• Chapter 2—Buckle Up
• Chapter 3—Driving Safely
• Chapter 4—Special Driving Conditions
• Chapter 5—Sharing the Road
• Chapter 6—Insurance and Financial Responsibility
• Chapter 7—Your Driving Record
• Chapter 8—Driving Under the Influence
• Chapter 9—License Suspensions and Revocations
• Chapter 10—New Nevada Resident Vehicle Registration
• Chapter 11—Office Locations

The handbook is available on-line at the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website or at any local DMV office.