Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Division of Vehicle Services (DVS) requires applicants to provide one primary and one secondary identification document. All documents not in English must be accompanied by a qualified English translation. Anyone who is a temporary United States resident must show additional proof of lawful admission by submitting official immigration documents, such as an I-20, DS-2019 or I-797 form.

Primary Documents (Must include full name and date of birth)
• Certified birth record issued by a government Bureau of Vital Statistics, board of health in the United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands (hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable)
• Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-545 or DS-1350)
• Report of Birth Abroad of United States citizen issued by a U.S. Embassy (FS-240)
• Certified adoption certificate from a United States court
• Valid unexpired United States passport
• Unexpired active duty, reserve or retired U.S. military identification card (DD-2 or Geneva Convention Common Access Card)
• Current tribal government identification card issued by a Minnesota Bureau of Indian Affairs (card must contain legal name, date of birth, signature and photo)
• Valid passport from a foreign country with unexpired I-551 stamp or I-94 arrival and departure form
• Canadian birth certificate or naturalization certificate with valid I-94 form (must be presented with a photo secondary document issued by a Canadian government agency)
• Employment Authorization Card with photo (I-688 or I-766)
• Permanent Resident or Resident Alien Card (I-551 or I-I51)
• Re-entry Permit or Refugee Travel Document (I-327 or I-571)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-561 or N-645)
• United States Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
• Northern Mariana Card (I-873)
• American Indian Card (I-872)

Secondary Documents
• An additional primary document
• Driver’s license or state identification card with photo issued by another U.S. state, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or a Canadian province or territory that is current or expired less than five years
• U.S. Social Security card or Canadian Social Insurance card
• Certified birth certificate from a government jurisdiction other than the U.S., District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands
• Certified government-issued marriage certificate
• Certified U.S. or Canadian court order including full name and date of birth
• Certified secondary or post-secondary school transcript containing full legal name and date of birth

Social Security Number
Applicants must provide their Social Security number or those without a Social Security number must certify all information on the application form is accurate and true.

Verification of Name Change
• Certified marriage certificate
• Certified court order
• Certified divorce decree or dissolution of marriage certificate

Translation of Documents
All foreign language documents must be translated into English and accompanied by a certificate documenting that the translation is accurate and true. The translator must not be related to the applicant and he or she must meet one of the following criteria:

• Accredited by the American Translators Association
• Certified by a court
• Approved by a United States embassy or consulate or by a diplomatic or consular official of a foreign country assigned to or accredited by the United States
• Affiliated with or approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services or a government jurisdiction within the United States
• An attorney licensed to practice in the United States or affiliated with such an attorney
• A vendor approved to provide translation services for the State of Minnesota